Processors & Specialty Foods

Finding your way to the information and resources you need can be difficult when you are a food processor. 

Where you go depends on your product, your process, and your facility. 

If you…

Then, go here.

want to start a food processing business

need information on labeling


make juice or cider

are a farmer and process jams, jellies, pickles, acidified foods, honey and maple syrup

process seafood

want to process milk, cheese or other dairy products

need to register your facility with FDA

want to know more about the Food Safety  Modernization Act

slaughter or process meat and poultry

 slaughter or process non-amenable meats and birds (FDA is responsible for bison, rabbits, game animals, zoo animals and all members of the deer family including elk (wapiti) and moose and wild turkeys, wild ducks, and wild geese)

process poultry under an FSIS exemption

need to find a laboratory to test well water or            food laboratories


     • Connecticut laboratories certified to test well water

     • Regional food testing laboratories